9 BILLION SCHOOLS CONTENT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
We are so pleased that you're interested in submitting content for the 9 Billion Schools movement. Below are our guidelines for submitting a potential guest blog for our website or an essay for the next edition of the 9 Billion Schools book. We look forward to reading your submission. Please allow up to four weeks for a response.
GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR GUEST POSTS AND BOOK ESSAYS
- Whatever your specific topic, it must, of course, be relevant to the 9 Billion Schools movement and somehow address personalized, lifelong learning. To help you evaluate this, be sure to read our manifesto, as well as existing blog posts and chapters from our book.
- We encourage you to focus on one particular theme, idea or insight, but your piece should not be so niche or esoteric as to be of interest to only a relative few.
- While we are open to strong - and even opposing - points of view, we will not publish any content that we deem at odds with the foundational element of the 9 Billion Schools movement: human dignity. Read more here about our code of conduct.
- The content must be original and all appropriate attribution must be given to material originating from other sources.
- We will consider previously published work as long as you still retain publication rights and that you indicate this when you submit.
- All work should be submitted as an editable, Microsoft Word document in Arial, 12-point type, double-spaced.
- 9 Billion Schools reserves the right to edit any submission for length, clarity and consistency of style. (We follow the Associated Press guidelines.) If we deem our edits minor, we will not necessarily seek your approval before publication.
- At the end of your submission, please list your name, email address and phone number. (We will publish your email so people can reach you; we will not publish your phone number. And we will never sell your information to a third-party vendor.)
- We reserve the right to keep content published online live and available ad infinitum, and for essays published in one edition of the book to be republished in some or all future editions or compilations.
- We do not pay authors for considering or publishing their submitted works.
- Do not submit content that is overly self-promotional. Any content that contains heavy promotional elements or advertising will be rejected.
GUEST BLOG POSTS
- Aim for 1,000-2,000 words.
- In addition, include a biography of about 100 words.
- Please include links to your professional social media channels, should we choose to include those links.
- Please insert links to any referenced sources, websites, books, etc.
- If you have a photo, image or infographic that you own rights to and believe would complement your post well, please send it as a pdf or jpg (72 dpi).
ESSAY FOR BOOK
- Aim for 1,500-3,000 words.
- In addition, include a biography of about 300 words.
- Be sure to footnote all references and sources following this format:
Books: Ravitch, Diane. 2016. The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice are Undermining Education. Basic Books. pg 16.
Articles: Brooks, David. May 10, 2016. "Putting Grit in its Place." The New York Times. pg 19.